interstellar vacation? Consider visiting Kepler-16b, a world in a binary star system. In fact Kepler-16b is the first discovered circumbinary planet. It was detected in a wide 229 day orbit around a close pair of cool, low-mass stars some 200 light-years away. The parent stars eclipse one another in their orbits, observed as a dimming of starlight. But Kepler-16b itself was discovered by following the additional very slight dimming produced during its transits. Like sci-fi planet Tatooine of Star Wars fame, two suns would set over its horizon. Still, Kepler 16b is probably not a Tatooine-like terrestrial desert world. Instead, Kepler 16b is thought to be a cold, uninhabitable planet with about the mass of Saturn and a gaseous surface ... so plan to dress accordingly. Or, choose another Visions of the Future vacation destination.
NASA Web Site Statements, Warnings, and Disclaimers
NASA Official: Jay Norris. Specific rights apply.
A service of: LHEA at NASA / GSFC
& Michigan Tech. U.
Based on Astronomy Picture Of the Day
Publications with keywords: extrasolar planet
Publications with words: extrasolar planet
- APOD: 2020 August 18 Á TYC 8998 760 1: Multiple Planets around a Sun Like Star
- The Kepler 90 Planetary System
- NGST 10b: Discovery of a Doomed Planet
- Goldilocks Zones and Stars
- Water Vapor Discovered on Distant Exoplanet
- Artistic Impression: The Surface of TRAPPIST 1f
- Four Planets Orbiting Star HR 8799