Frau Maro highlands. The tracks were made by the Apollo 14 crew's two-wheeled Modularized Equipment Transporter (MET), fondly known as the "rickshaw". The MET was designed as an aid to surface exploration. Serving as a workbench with a place for the lunar handtools, it also carried cameras, sample containers, spare film and a Lunar Surface Penetrometer. The path outlined in the lunar soil leads away from Alan Shepard and Edgar Mitchell's Lunar landing Module, tracing the path of their first venture across the lunar landscape.
NASA Web Site Statements, Warnings, and Disclaimers
NASA Official: Jay Norris. Specific rights apply.
A service of: LHEA at NASA / GSFC
& Michigan Tech. U.
Based on Astronomy Picture Of the Day
Publications with keywords: Moon - apollo
Publications with words: Moon - apollo
- APOD: 2023 September 17 Á Moon Mountains Magnified during Ring of Fire Eclipse
- APOD: 2023 September 5 Á Blue Supermoon Beyond Syracuse
- APOD: 2023 June 12 Á The Largest Satellites of Earth
- APOD: 2023 May 24 Á Observatory Aligned with Moon Occulting Jupiter
- Shackleton from ShadowCam
- APOD: 2023 April 26 Á The Moon through the Arc de Triomphe
- APOD: 2023 February 28 Á Crescent Moon Beyond Greek Temple