Credit & Copyright: Jerry Lodriguss (Catching the Light)Explanation: Still waters mimic a predawn sky along the eastern horizon in this peaceful scene. The picture was recorded on May 22nd from the banks of the Mullica River, in a forested region known as the Pine Barrens of southern New Jersey on the US east coast. Near the horizon at the left is an old Moon with its narrow, sunlit crescent. Mars is near picture center and brilliant Venus shines farther right. Like the terrestrial lights along the riverbank, the bright celestial beacons are all reflected in the watery foreground. Of course, most of the Moon is illuminated by Earthshine, light reflected from the sunlit side of planet Earth itself, revealing features on the darkened lunar surface.
NASA Web Site Statements, Warnings, and Disclaimers
NASA Official: Jay Norris. Specific rights apply.
A service of: LHEA at NASA / GSFC
& Michigan Tech. U.
Based on Astronomy Picture Of the Day
Publications with keywords: Moon - Mars - Venus
Publications with words: Moon - Mars - Venus
- Orion and the Ocean of Storms
- APOD: 2023 December 4 Á Plane Crossing Crescent Moon
- APOD: 2023 December 3 Á Moon Setting Behind Teide Volcano
- Daytime Moon Meets Morning Star
- APOD: 2023 November 14 Á Three Planets Rock
- APOD: 2023 November 12 Á Gibbous Moon beyond Swedish Mountain
- APOD: 2023 November 7 Á A Martian Dust Devil Spins By