Saturn's rings, Dione and the other icy saturnian moons have a perpetual ringside view of the gorgeous gas giant planet. Of course, while passing through the ring plane the Cassini spacecraft also shares their stunning perspective. The rings themselves can be seen slicing across the bottom of this Cassini snapshot. Remarkably thin, the bright rings still cast arcing shadows across the planet's cloud tops. Pale Dione, in the foreground, is about 1,100 kilometers across and orbits over 300,000 kilometers from the visible outer edge of the A ring.
NASA Web Site Statements, Warnings, and Disclaimers
NASA Official: Jay Norris. Specific rights apply.
A service of: LHEA at NASA / GSFC
& Michigan Tech. U.
Based on Astronomy Picture Of the Day
Publications with keywords: Saturn - Saturn rings
Publications with words: Saturn - Saturn rings
- A Lunar Corona with Jupiter and Saturn
- Jupiter and Saturn Great Conjunction: The Movie
- Great Conjunction: Saturn and Jupiter Converge
- Saturn and Jupiter in Summer 2020
- Great Conjunction over Sicilian Lighthouse
- Saturn and Jupiter over Italian Peaks
- APOD: 2020 August 13 Á Jupiter and Saturn Rising Beyond Alien Throne Rock