Credit & Copyright: J. Bergeron, Sky & Telescope MagazineExplanation: Gravity can do more than floor you. According to recent measurements of a star system thought to contain a black hole, it can spin you too. This effect, called frame-dragging, is most prominent near massive, fast spinning objects. Now, a team led by W. Cui (MIT) has used the orbiting Rossi X-ray Timing Explorer to search for it near a system thought to contain a black hole. Cui's team claim that matter in this system gets caught up and spun around the black hole at just the rate expected from frame-dragging. Such discoveries help scientists better understand gravity itself.
NASA Web Site Statements, Warnings, and Disclaimers
NASA Official: Jay Norris. Specific rights apply.
A service of: LHEA at NASA / GSFC
& Michigan Tech. U.
Based on Astronomy Picture Of the Day
Publications with keywords: black hole
Publications with words: black hole
- GW190521: Unexpected Black Holes Collide
- APOD: 2020 August 25 Á Visualization: A Black Hole Accretion Disk
- A Black Hole Disrupts a Passing Star
- An Extreme Black Hole Outburst
- Black Hole Safety Video
- Unusual Signal Suggests Neutron Star Destroyed by Black Hole
- Animation: Spiral Disk around a Black Hole