Pairs of black holes, each several times the mass of our Sun, have recently been found to merge by detection of unusual gravitational radiation. The regions surrounding supermassive black holes in the centers of galaxies can light up as stars that near them get shredded. The closest known black hole to the Earth is V616 Mon, which is about 3,300 light years away. The best way for our monster friend to stay safe, the video informs, is to not go too close.
NASA Web Site Statements, Warnings, and Disclaimers
NASA Official: Jay Norris. Specific rights apply.
A service of: LHEA at NASA / GSFC
& Michigan Tech. U.
Based on Astronomy Picture Of the Day
Publications with keywords: black hole
Publications with words: black hole
- GW190521: Unexpected Black Holes Collide
- APOD: 2020 August 25 Á Visualization: A Black Hole Accretion Disk
- A Black Hole Disrupts a Passing Star
- An Extreme Black Hole Outburst
- Unusual Signal Suggests Neutron Star Destroyed by Black Hole
- Animation: Spiral Disk around a Black Hole
- The Galaxy, the Jet and the Black Hole