Credit & Copyright: Babak Tafreshi (TWAN)Explanation: A waning crescent moon, early morning twilight, and Al Hamra's city lights on the horizon can't hide the central Milky Way in this skyscape from planet Earth. Captured in a single exposure, the dreamlike scene looks southward across the region's grand canyon from Jabal Shams (Sun Mountain), near the highest peak in Oman, on the Arabian Peninsula. Mist, moonlight, and shadows still play along the steep canyon walls. Dark rifts along the luminous band of the Milky Way are the galaxy's cosmic dust clouds. Typically hundreds of light-years distant, they obscure starlight along the galactic plane, viewed edge-on from the Solar System's perspective.
NASA Web Site Statements, Warnings, and Disclaimers
NASA Official: Jay Norris. Specific rights apply.
A service of: LHEA at NASA / GSFC
& Michigan Tech. U.
Based on Astronomy Picture Of the Day
Publications with keywords: Milky Way - Moon
Publications with words: Milky Way - Moon
- APOD: 2023 May 24 Á Observatory Aligned with Moon Occulting Jupiter
- APOD: 2023 May 10 Á Milky Way over Egyptian Desert
- Shackleton from ShadowCam
- APOD: 2023 April 26 Á The Moon through the Arc de Triomphe
- APOD: 2023 February 28 Á Crescent Moon Beyond Greek Temple
- Crescent Moon Occultation
- APOD: 2023 January 16 Á Moon Enhanced