Cassini probe now orbiting Saturn directly over the lower spin axis of the ringed giant. Cassini found there a spectacular massive swirling storm system with a well developed eye-wall, similar to a hurricane here on Earth. One image of the storm is shown above, while several frames from the overpass have been made into a movie that shows the huge vortex rotating. The storm is slightly larger than the entire Earth and carries winds that reach 550 kilometers per hour, twice the velocity of a Category 5 hurricane. This pole vortex on Saturn might have been raging for billions of years and is not expected to drift off the pole.
NASA Web Site Statements, Warnings, and Disclaimers
NASA Official: Jay Norris. Specific rights apply.
A service of: LHEA at NASA / GSFC
& Michigan Tech. U.
Based on Astronomy Picture Of the Day
Publications with keywords: Saturn - hurricane
Publications with words: Saturn - hurricane
- A Lunar Corona with Jupiter and Saturn
- Jupiter and Saturn Great Conjunction: The Movie
- Great Conjunction: Saturn and Jupiter Converge
- Saturn and Jupiter in Summer 2020
- Great Conjunction over Sicilian Lighthouse
- Saturn and Jupiter over Italian Peaks
- APOD: 2020 August 13 Á Jupiter and Saturn Rising Beyond Alien Throne Rock