Credit & Copyright: Dennis LehtonenExplanation: Light pollution is usually not a problem in Qeqertaq. In western Greenland the remote coastal village boasted a population of 114 in 2020. Lights still shine in its dark skies though. During planet Earth's recent intense geomagnetic storm, on November 6 these beautiful curtains of aurora borealis fell over the arctic realm. On the eve of the coming weeks of polar night at 70 degrees north latitude, the inspiring display of northern lights is reflected in the waters of Disko Bay. In this view from the isolated settlement a lone iceberg is illuminated by shore lights as it drifts across the icy sea.
Leonid Meteor Shower.
NASA Web Site Statements, Warnings, and Disclaimers
NASA Official: Jay Norris. Specific rights apply.
A service of: LHEA at NASA / GSFC
& Michigan Tech. U.
Based on Astronomy Picture Of the Day
Publications with keywords: aurora borealis
Publications with words: aurora borealis
- APOD: 2024 February 25 Á A Phoenix Aurora over Iceland
- Northern Lights from the Stratosphere
- APOD: 2023 December 27 Á Rainbow Aurora over Icelandic Waterfall
- Little Planet Aurora
- APOD: 2023 November 6 Á Red Aurora over Italy
- Fireball over Iceland
- APOD: 2023 July 30 Á Spiral Aurora over Icelandic Divide