man in the Moon, the night sky is filled with stories, and cultures throughout history have projected some of their most enduring legends onto the stars and dust above. Generations of people see these celestial icons, hear their associated stories, and pass them down. Pictured here is not only a segment of the central band of our Milky Way galaxy, but, according to folklore of several native peoples of Uruguay, the outline of a great bird called ÷and÷. Furthermore, ÷and÷'s footprint is associated with the Southern Cross asterism. In the foreground, in silhouette, is a statue of Mar÷a Micaela Guyunusa, an indigenous woman of the Charr÷a people who lived in the 1800s and endures as a symbol of colonial resistance. The composite image was taken in mid-April in Cabo Polonio, Uruguay, with the Atlantic Ocean in the background.
NASA Web Site Statements, Warnings, and Disclaimers
NASA Official: Jay Norris. Specific rights apply.
A service of: LHEA at NASA / GSFC
& Michigan Tech. U.
Based on Astronomy Picture Of the Day
Publications with keywords: Milky Way
Publications with words: Milky Way
- Milky Way Rising
- APOD: 2023 July 18 ┴ Milky Way above La Palma Observatory
- APOD: 2023 July 16 ┴ Meteor and Milky Way over the Alps
- APOD: 2023 July 2 ┴ Milky Way and Aurora over Antarctica
- APOD: 2023 May 29 ┴ Milky Way over a Turquoise Wonderland
- APOD: 2023 May 10 ┴ Milky Way over Egyptian Desert
- Milky Way and Zodiacal Light over Australian Pinnacles