circle Jupiter. The featured video depicts Europa and Io, two of Jupiter's largest moons, crossing in front of the grand planet's Great Red Spot, the largest known storm system in our Solar System. The video was composed from images taken by the robotic Cassini spacecraft as it passed Jupiter in 2000, on its way to Saturn. The two moons visible are volcanic Io, in the distance, and icy Europa. In the time-lapse video, Europa appears to overtake Io, which is odd because Io is closer to Jupiter and moves faster. The explanation is that the motion of the fast Cassini spacecraft changes the camera location significantly during imaging. Jupiter is currently being visited by NASA's robotic Juno spacecraft, while ESA's Jupiter Icy Moons Explorer (JUICE), launched in April, is enroute.
NASA Web Site Statements, Warnings, and Disclaimers
NASA Official: Jay Norris. Specific rights apply.
A service of: LHEA at NASA / GSFC
& Michigan Tech. U.
Based on Astronomy Picture Of the Day
Publications with keywords: Jupiter - Io - Europa
Publications with words: Jupiter - Io - Europa
- Stereo Jupiter near Opposition
- APOD: 2023 November 14 Á Three Planets Rock
- Jupiter by Moonlight
- APOD: 2023 October 23 Á Moon Io from Spacecraft Juno
- APOD: 2023 June 25 Á Lightning on Jupiter
- APOD: 2023 May 24 Á Observatory Aligned with Moon Occulting Jupiter
- APOD: 2023 May 23 Á Jupiters Swirls from Juno