neutron star in space. Observations by the Hubble Space Telescope have been combined with previous observations by the X-ray ROSAT observatory and ultraviolet EUVE observatory for the isolated star at the location of the arrow. Astronomers are able to directly infer the star's size from measurements of its unblended brightness, temperature, and an upper limit on the distance. Assuming that the object is a neutron star of typical mass, some previous theories of neutron star structure would have predicted an implosion that would have created a black hole. That this neutron star even exists therefore allows a window to the extreme conditions that exist in the interiors of neutron stars.
NASA Web Site Statements, Warnings, and Disclaimers
NASA Official: Jay Norris. Specific rights apply.
A service of: LHEA at NASA / GSFC
& Michigan Tech. U.
Based on Astronomy Picture Of the Day
Publications with keywords: black hole - neutron star
Publications with words: black hole - neutron star
- GW190521: Unexpected Black Holes Collide
- APOD: 2020 August 25 Á Visualization: A Black Hole Accretion Disk
- A Black Hole Disrupts a Passing Star
- An Extreme Black Hole Outburst
- A Hotspot Map of Neutron Star J0030s Surface
- Black Hole Safety Video
- Unusual Signal Suggests Neutron Star Destroyed by Black Hole